Monday, August 24, 2015

Time to finish strong!

It's been a really fun week this past week with some fun activities. Real fast, last week we went out to KSL mall to meet up with a member who took us to a night market - one of the biggest ones I have ever seen. As we continued to walk along we came to a car selling stinky tofu. It smelled terrible and of course the member bought us some... it was disgusting. It tasted like trash. 
Other activities we did included yoga (early this morning), exchanges with Elder Avery - which was awesome, badminton (Elder Lloyd broke his racquet..) and climbing on the roof of our apartment.




We have had many small miracles this past week so here I go...
On Friday we went to get my bicycle tire replaced when while at the store a man who was there for the same reason,  heard me speaking Chinese to the worker there. He asked about where I learned Chinese and a great, classic contact began. When he heard that we were Christian missionaries, he said he wasn't super interested, but his daughter would be. So he referred his daughter to us and we were thrilled! He told us she would like to learn more about Christians. I called her but she was busy at the time so are following up with her today. Immediately after, as we were riding to our next appointment a man pulled up next to us at a traffic light and shouted to us, "Where are you going? Want to come get a cup of coffee or tea with me?" Please, the two things we DON'T drink. We kindly declined but asked him if he was free another day we could meet with him. He said, "yeah!" but the light turned green. He drove ahead and pulled over to give us his number. He introduced himself as a Christian and said that when we are free he would like us to meet with him again. It was an awesome miracle Heavenly Father putting prepared people in our path.

This week we found 3 new investigators who are really good ones!  One of them we met a few weeks ago and he said that he would be interested in meeting. We finally got an appointment made with him on Thursday, but we didn't know if we should go. The reason being,  he called us later to confirm with us the appointment and that never happens unless they want you to join their company or help them with money. So we were somewhat apprehensive on going, but w

felt we should go so we called him and told him we were on our way. We arrived at the destination and found a place to sit with him. This man, although looked a little rough around the edges, turned out to be one of the nicest, most sincere guys I have ever met. As soon as we sat down he said, "I know that you can't help me with my financial problems and things like that, but I would hope that you can help me just feel better. That a lot of my stresses can be taken away. I am very stressed and would like more peace in my life." My jaw dropped. We shared with him the Book of Mormon and shared with him a great scripture that helped him feel really good. He felt so good that he is meeting with us this Tuesday and wants to learn more. It was so cool! 

I also went on exchanges with Elder Avery this week and it was so fun. We spent most of our time looking for people in his area and I had forgotten how fun it was to just meet people on the street like that. At one point we knocked on someone's gate and before the person came out Elder Avery said, "I brought a hymn book if we want to sing a hymn for them." As we saw this little old lady come out she waved to us and said, "Hold on! (In Chinese)" She opened her gated doorway and her son who speaks English came out and called, "Yes? Anything?" We told him we were Christians that wanted to share a message with him and his family. He didn't seem to interested at first, 
  but then...haha! we told him, "We were hoping we could sing you guys a song!" He paused, looked down, then said, "Okay! Come on in!" We went into his home, the older lady was his mom, and we sat down with them and looked at all their beautiful pictures of Jesus Christ they had in their home when our eyes caught on one picture. It was a painting of Jesus Christ holding a lamb that is on the front of "The Restoration" pamphlet. I knew it was done by a LDS artist and before we sang for them shared a little bit about what we teach. We shared the Book of Mormon and the man said he is very open to learn. It was a cool contact! I really had fun with Elder Avery who is a very upbeat and happy elder. He's probably the funniest elder I have met in the mission. Serious. 
Well, these are the last 6 weeks. They are going to be the best next 6 weeks. Coming home yesterday I said to Elder Lloyd, "You know, I feel like I haven't quite done enough." This feeling I had was a big motivation that I am going to take into this last transfer to help me push to the very end. I am going to take today to get back into the blocks to start off running faster than I have ever done before. We have a few investigators on date and it's our goal to get them progressing in this next week. Hope to be able to send you a white picture in these next few weeks. 

Love you all and I am so happy that I get these next 6 weeks to be with Elder Avery, Elder Pearce, and especially Elder Lloyd. I tell him all the time he is the companion that I have always prayed for. But don't worry, I have loved every single one of my companions. They have all changed me. Here we go! Work! Work! Work! There's nothing better!

From Elder Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment