Monday, August 10, 2015

My Last Zone Conference!!

My last Zone Conference,
Pres. fist Zone Conference!
This past week we went to Singapore for zone conference and what an amazing experience it was. It was our mission president's first and my last, but despite whose it was and whatever-  there was a lot gained from it. I was able to share my testimony with the other missionaries and I had a tender moment  as I shared my feelings of my wonderful younger brother,  who just started his mission. I loved thinking about the fact that there are 2 Elder Hanks's in the world from the same family. What a blessing! 
So for P-day last week we had a badminton tournament in Singapore with all of the missionaries! It was great and  I was happy that Elder Lloyd and I  were able to tie for first in the tournament. There are a lot of really good missionaries here!  When I get home I am looking for the closest badminton tournament I can find in UT! 

There were a lot of miracles this past week so let's get to it:
While in Singapore we were able to find a lot of people to share the gospel with. I am sad that I do not get to follow up with them personally (because I'm going back to JB) , but sharing the gospel with them was the greatest feeling ever. One experience happened on Wednesday morning -  We were in Singapore's famous Botanic Garden studying under a pagoda when an older man asked if he could exercise. We said yes and he did his fun kung fu exercise thing. Once he was done,  he interrupted Elder Lloyd asking if he could take a picture of his name tag. This started a conversation which lasted for a while and ended with him taking a picture with each of us, exchanging phone numbers, and saying he had friends he would like us to meet. What a prepared son of God. I hope he will sincerely seek for the truth from the elders that are in Singapore.












I cannot remember if I mentioned this before, but we have an investigator that was on date to be baptized at the beginning of this month, but he was under age and his parents said no. We were sad to hear about it, but were excited when the opportunity came to go to his house and just meet his parents. We went with a cake the senior couple had made as a 'peace offering' and we excited to meet his mom. ( this was saturday night by the way). While there on Saturday, before we left, she motioned us to the back where her computer was. "I want to show you something." She said. We walked back not knowing what to expect, but were so excited when we looked at her computer screen to see a photo of her 3 kids with a birthday cake and 2 other missionaries with them!!!!!!! This picture was taken like 7 years ago and we had no idea!! We talked a little bit more about how she knew the other elders and we left on a high note!  The next day we went back and talked more and was so happy to hear that she wasn't opposed to her son being baptized anymore, but she just wanted him to understand more about what he's getting into and to be faithful and true to what he is joining. We were thrilled-  But we were even more excited when we heard her say that she too would like to learn and have a religion for herself and for her family!!!!! WHAT!!!!! She says she is really busy right now, but agreed to allow us to start coming over to teach her son in her home,  so she can listen to the lessons as well. We are super happy at the mercy of the Lord.



I was blessed this past week to be with one of my previous companions, Elder Lee (now Brother Lee) came over for a visit and actually helped us teach a lesson. It was a powerful lesson and it brought me back to some of the good old days of our teaching together in Sitiawan. He still has the missionary spirit about him. it was great seeing him. 
Things are going really well here in JB. I am loving it and we have quite a good amount of work in progress and to do. Couldn't ask for more!


Elders Pearce, Avery, Ebeling?, Lallemant, Hanks, Lloyd


Elders Lloyd, Pearce, Avery, Hanks


Elder Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment