Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A Baptism in the dark!

Aug 2 2015 

Greetings from Singapore! It's my last zone conference in the mission and I am going to enjoy it with my awesome companion Elder Lloyd. I love him so much and he is awesome!  But we have had a great week with many miracles to share, so let's get down to it then...
Let's put the weekend in Chronological order to make it more fun:
Friday we had an appointment in the afternoon out in the east Masai area. We were needing to take a bus to the area so we walked to the bus stop and waited for the bus to come. As we were,  it was raining and then it began to rain harder and harder. Lightning was striking every 30 seconds and the rain came down harder than I have ever seen it come down. The bus came and I waved my arm out to stop the bus, but the driver just ignored us and drove on! There was a bus following right after that one, also going to our destination - but that driver ignored us too! We began to consider whether or not Heavenly Father was trying to tell us not to go to Masai today, but we said a prayer and right when we finished a bus pulled up! We got on and headed over. Once in Masai we saw that the rain storm had not yet reached there, so when the bus stopped next to a store I asked Elder Lloyd, "Do you think I should buy an umbrella?" He said, "Nah, we don't really need one. Unless you want one, then we can go buy one." I decided not to buy one. hahaha...we'll regret that later! We walked one minute towards the house when the rain storm caught up to us - and I'm guessing that on it's way over,  it was in a bad mood because the storm was worse in Masai than it was when we left the previous area! It was coming down in buckets so we took shelter under in an Indian temple. There I made a few calls while we waited for it to subside, but it never did. Finally we had to head back to our area in order to make it to another appointment and get ready for a baptism happening later that day. 
As we left the roof of the temple we huddled under Elder Lloyd's small umbrella, but I soon discovered it was worthless for two of us to be under that rag, so I screwed that and instead just resorted to jumping in the rivers of the roadside puddles. It was great. 
I was soaking wet when we got home and we had to change before teaching another investigator. We taught it outside our apartment complex in the lobby because the church  had no electricity..... yep... no power! We thought it would come back on by the time the baptism started at 7, but it did not.... and as people showed up we just had to pull chairs out of the chapel and pack them in the front lobby where the front door was giving us  light. But then as 7:00 came around and it got darker with more people coming we had to light candles and there was no place to sit!  We were a little worried about the candles because there was a lot of new people there for the baptism who were relatives,  and we didn't want to think we were a weird church with the whole candle ceremony or anything... haha! but it was great! There was a lot of people that came that really enjoyed the baptism and actually shared that they felt really good during the service! The baptism itself was great as Elder Lloyd baptized our 11 year-old investigator -  we all thought it was a memorable baptism because it was the first one in our newly made font and it was in the dark!!! What a memorable baptism.
Saturday: Due to our not visiting our investigator on Friday we took our branch president back with us on Saturday to visit her. It was a great visit and as we were leaving we thought of a less active member that lived on the same street that we thought we might just visit. We did and he was home. We had a great visit with him and he promised to come to church! It was a miracle because if we had ended up teaching her yesterday we would not have had any reason to go back to that area and we would have never been able to visit this less active member. We were so excited but I wasn't sure if he was going to come; he had made such promises before. Also on Saturday I got a little sick, but that didn't stop us from going out although I had an early night crash which was very nice. 
Sunday: The less active we visited on Saturday, came to church and we had a lot of people there. It was great and our less active member was fellowshipped really well. We hope he'll come back next week. One scary thing for me was that the branch pianist didn't come on Sunday... so I had to play! I was so nervous, but I did well enough. It's my goal now to be able to play all the hymns in the hymn book after my mission! 
If I were to answer the question, "What's one thing you did before the mission you are grateful for?" I would say piano. It has been a HUGE blessing on my mission and I have been able to use this gift to bless many people's lives. I just want to give a shoutout to my parents and say thanks for putting up with all my 'pouts' about the piano and encouraging me to continue to play. I hope to make sure it doesn't go to waste. 
Well, that was my week. It's been a great one. I'm in Singapore so I don't have too much time today, but I am sharing my last testimony. I'll record it and send it sometime. 
Love you all, Elder Hanks

2 comments:

  1. I think that Elders Lloyd and Hanks have the most fantastic eyebrows on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! That is so funny! I never notice how similar they are!

      Delete