Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Desire, Faith and Miracles

This week was all about desire and faith.

We have been teaching an investigator for a while and we decided to make a short, last-minute visit to his house to just talk. We interrupted his dinner as it was ending and we felt bad, but we talked to him about what he's been learning. As he was talking, he told us how he felt like he was ready. We were like "ready for what?"   "Baptism."  We were able to put him on date for baptism on the 25th of October and we are so excited for him. He has been investigating for 3 years and it's finally happening! We're so stoked and happy for him! 

Another cool investigator is now a family investigating!  We had met a man a few weeks ago and he became an investigator after we taught him a lesson outside his house. We did a quick stop by to see how he was doing one night and his entire family(wife and daughters) were home with him. We asked if we could share a message and they agreed. We talked about God and how He loves us so much. Also the Book of Mormon and mostly prayer. We invited the man to say a prayer for us and he did. He did so good and his wife and oldest daughter agreed to be taught. We are now teaching a lovely family. 

Other fun stuff, we contacted a bunch of Indonesians in the middle of the Jungle and gave them all Malay Books of Mormon. They loved it. We also started mutual this week and the first activity for mutual was making scripture cases.  I wasn't sure if they were very excited about it but the next minute everyone is asking for help making theirs because they all want one. It was a great success and we hope everyone had a great time.

We had zone meeting in Ipoh this last Tuesday and the topic of the meeting was faith and desire. From this meeting I've realized that these are two very important pieces that go together in harmony and are actually both necessary to each other. Faith is the belief in things that are not seen which are true. I have faith in this work and that it is the true work of God for the Salvation of His children, and I have faith that I can succeed in the work. But I had to reflect this week on my true desire to serve God. In D&C 18:28 it says "If they desire to take upon them my name with full purpose of heart, they are called to go into all the world to preach my gospel unto every creature." 

I have faith in God that this is His work, but I found that my desire to serve His mission the way He wants me to wasn't that great as I thought it was. It took some great pondering (and humility) to just let go of all my 'ideas' and my 'opinions' on how I should serve a mission and just accept the way the Lord wants it done - through Preach My Gospel. I love that book now more than ever. Make sure you all have one because it's great! I read that thing like the Bible. As I have been studying and adopting Preach My Gospel into my teaching skills I have seen miracles in the work. 

This past Sunday in sacrament meeting we were having a normal sacrament meeting when one of our investigators on date for September 27th came with her mom and aunt(their first time). That was cool and I'll continue that in a moment. As sacrament continued on another old guy and his friend just walked in the chapel and sat down next to me. I had no idea who they were but welcomed them in. I had the blessing of giving a talk on faith and as I looked on the congregation I saw happy smiles from all the non-members present. After sacrament meeting we were running frantically all over the chapel to talk to all these new people. The old guy and his friend, apparently the old guy had been here before a long time ago and felt like bringing his friend, who just came from Sabah(East Malaysia), to church. His friend wants to meet with us and we hope to teach him. Our investigator's aunt was very impressed and liked what our church taught in sacrament meeting so she is considering learning and referred her 3 kids who are working in Singapore to be taught the lessons. Whoo!!! Miracles! I love them! 

I'm sorry I don't have pictures this week because I'm in Singapore and it's such a rush! 

This week in our Zone Conference we have Elder Allen, the Mission Director of the whole church (the top guy over ALL the missionaries) coming to talk to us this week. We are so excited to hear his counsel. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Love you all,
Elder Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment