Monday, June 23, 2014

a beach activity in Penang & making some progress



I just want to first share that there was a big hole dug in our Jehovah's Witness testimony of his church. We were continuing where we left off from last week when he shared a scripture in the Bible about baptism. As I thought about it, we had never talked with him about baptism before and more importantly the gift of the Holy Ghost. We read in Acts where the apostles are bestowing the gift of the holy ghost and we asked him his thoughts about it. He went on saying like, "Yes that's what they did." So I asked him, "If you are the true church, do you follow the Apostles example in receiving and giving the Gift of the Holy Ghost?" This is where he choked, I think he literally choked or something because he hesitated and with a sad tone said, "No, we don't." I think that was hard for him to say that but I think it helped him realize that there is something in laying on of hand in giving the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Next time we visit him we want to follow up on that.

My companion is loving visiting him as much as I am. Every single time we visit him he brings up all of these doctrines that contradict, my companion and I will study them, and then share what we learned. It has helped my companion and I really grow closer together. So if there are any missionaries out there who struggle with their companion to get along, I recommend finding the nearest Jehovah's witness and teach him; your companion and you will grow closer together by the minute. 

We had Zone Meeting in Penang this past week and we had our zone activity on the beach. It was beautiful and the water was really warm, don't worry, we just stood in it. We all had a really fun soccer game on the sand and it was really fun, the only problem with that is the sand is like shards of glass that stick to the wet ball. So after we all finished-sweaty and tired-we checked our aching feet to see them all scarred up and bruised; we hurt, but a lot of fun.

Yesterday in church we brought our neighbor who is an investigator to church, but she is really shy and wasn't sure if she wanted to go. We kept inviting her to come and she finally agreed. When we were about to leave she said that she was only going to stay for the first two hours and leave before the third hour started.  So we were like, "Okay!" Sacrament was good and she enjoyed it ,even  asking a few questions. In second hour-Sunday School-I was assigned to teach the lesson. I had prepared a lesson in advance to teach the youth on  how to use their scriptures to find answers-  a  good old scripture hunt. I had previously placed envelopes with clues using scriptures to tell them where to look to find the key to open a box at the front of the class. They read all over to look all over the room to finally find the key. I think they had fun and it was a good class!

We are planning on having a youth activity this saturday to get the youth to bring their friends to the church and meet us.  I came up with the idea of a little photo booth thing where we will take their picture and they can use props and costumes to be all crazy and such. Then we will, another day, print them for all the youth.

I am excited for this last week, but also sad because it may be my last week here in Sitiawan. Next week is transfers and I have no idea what will happen! Not sure I am ready to leave this area but I'll go where I am supposed to.  This week I'm also going to Singapore for Zone Conference, good food and lots of it! 
Michael Jackson watching me jam on air guitar! 


I'll let you all know next week where I'll be!
Elder Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment