Monday, March 31, 2014

We're finding investigators!

(No pictures this week) 
This week has been a very uplifting week with new investigators including some teenagers, a maybe Jehovah's Witness, and a Buddhist referral.

We were contacting one day not sure of what to do and we were going from house to house being rejected by mostly Buddhists. It's really amusing to hear what they say for rejection; they'll say, "I" or "We worship God." and shut the door. I just want to call out, "Hey no way! We do too! Can we talk about him with you and your family?" But the door is already closed or they look at you funny and slowly walk away. 

As we continued to knock on doors, we came to a house, knocked and an Indian man showed up at the door and said, "Would you like to come in?" We were both taken back a little to the immediate and warm invitation, but we accepted his offer and entered his home. We met his kids and looked over to see him on the couch looking at us with ready eyes; we sat down to join him. He asked us for our names and we for his and the first thing he said was, "What is the message you have to share with me?" Now both my companion and I are just like, "Whaaaatttt!!!" Haha - this is so great!
 I've never had an experience that has gone as smooth as this experience was going so I started to share about the importance of family to God and so on. Then at one point he asked, because we were talking about eternities and such, "Where will we live when we live for eternity?" or in other words, "Where will this place be?" I was kind of confused by the question because I didn't know if he wanted a simple answer or a deep answer. So I said with our Heavenly Father, but he asked the question again and I just plainly said, "Here on Earth after the Savior comes again." Which is the most basic answer I could give to such an interesting and profound question. He then beamed and said, "Yes! That's what I believe!" He then pulled out his Bible and talked about all the doctrine of Christ and the truthfulness of the Bible comparing bible translations and he agrees that the King James Bible is the most correct and really enjoyed what was in it. He also expressed that he had already met the missionaries before and actually had a Book of Mormon.

 I just want to thank any past missionaries who served here; you did a great job.  We continued to talk and he asked one of the greatest questions a missionary wants to hear, "What is the need for another book?" I understood that this man was a man who would follow doctrine given to him, so I shared Ephesians 37 showing him the reason and actual mention of the Book of Mormon found in the Bible. He was so intrigued by this, especially because the missionaries before had not shared this with him before, so he promised to find out and do research. At one point he actually said that he didn't give his all to find out the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon; that to me says that he realizes that this is a big deal worth pursuing. The only down side is we think he is a Jehovah's Witness, but we are working on seeing how to show him in a loving way the truth of Jehovah, and that is being Jesus Christ. Leaving his home he invited us to come back and gave us his phone number saying, "Just give me a tinkle." I can't wait to give him a 'tinkle.' So funny, I think he meant "jingle" ! Awesome guy anyway! So awesome! 

Later in the week, we decided to call up a teenage boy we had met before and he invited us to play basketball with him and some friends the next morning and we accepted. That morning we met with him, his cousin, and a friend of his, and others, to play a few games of b-ball. We all had a great time, especially this old guy that was playing with us; he was sinking almost every three he made which was pretty humiliating on my part. But he was a cool old guy. We finished playing and most of the people left besides these three guys, so we invited us over to talk to them a little bit.
They all spoke English fluently, thankfully, so I was able to share with them from my heart the truthfulness of this gospel. They are all about 15 years old so to get started was a little rough to get them engaged with what I was saying, but as we continued to talk and share, I was able to engage them and help them understand by applying the story of Joseph Smith, the Restoration, and all that to them and tried to kind of put them in Joseph's shoes. That helped them understand the importance of the gospel and we were able to give the friend a Book of Mormon and asked them all to read it and think about it. It was really great because I was trying to help them understand what the truthfulness of the book of Mormon could feel like to them, so I said something along the lines of, "Have you guys ever been reading the Bible and something you read just goes BOOM (I made sort of an explosion sound) in your brain and you just think, ' Whoa! That's so cool?' Have you ever had that before?" The teenage boy we met with said, "Yes! I've had that before!" I then pointed out, "This is what the Book of Mormon can feel like when you read it!" They all seemed to really think that was funny but cool. We are really excited to meet with them next week and see if they had any cool experiences with the Book of Mormon. 

By the way, Sister Romney rocketh! (She's looking over my shoulder)

So our last investigator is a referral from a member so that makes it all the better! Sunday afternoon we went with him, his wife, and his son to a small city-town called Pandai Remis. There are about 0 Christians in this small area because they are mostly Buddhists and Hindus; to make it even better, this town is so small that very, very, VERY, few white people ever go there. Side-note, the word for white person in Hokin, a chinese dialect, is Amolan. As I was walking around this town, people were staring at me and saying over and over again, "Amolan." It's even funnier because they don't know that I can understand them which makes you feel really good about yourself. The only bad part about this story is that we had to buy our meal to eat, therefore I broke the Sabbath day. Uhhh-  Who would have known that the first time I break that commandment would be on my mission! It was all for a good cause- finding an investigator!  
But we found his friend and we shared a message about the plan of salvation and the man was so engaged with what we were sharing, he didn't take his eyes off of us. By the end of the hour and a half we spent with this man, he asked some questions that lead so well into the Restoration! We just didn't have time to share that message so we are saving that for next week.

I'm really excited for this upcoming weekend for several reasons which include: A baptism, General Conference, Easter Sunday, need there be anything more? I'll be sure to share all about it after it all happens! We have to wait for an entire week after you guys - until we can hear and watch General Conference, so I really can't wait to watch it! Love you all so much as always!

Also, Happy Birthday this week Amanda and Dad! Hope you have a wonderful day! 

Elder Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment