Monday, February 24, 2014

2 Bike Wrecks and a transfer (ahhh!)


Transfers came this week and I got the news that I would be leaving the wonderful area of Sibu! It's sad to leave such a wonderful place, especially with so much going on. I'm going to be transferred to a little area on the opposite side of the mission called Sitiawan. It's the smallest area in the mission a Chinese Elder can work in, so I'm a little surprised it's my second area. But I hope that there is a very special purpose in my going there. I'm going to miss Elder Earl though, he has been just so great!  I hope that the work in Sibu will grow immensely while he continues to serve here in Sibu.  (Sibu is in East Malaysia, his new area in Sitiawan is in West Malaysia) 

Some fun things that has happened here in Sibu over the last couple of days include dropping an investigator, being involved in two bike accidents in less than an hour, a new great investigator, and of course I'm getting transferred.

So, first the investigator. We have been working with him for a while now and he stopped progressing for a while because he was out of town. Now that he is back -  he won't stop calling us, literally. He had been calling us for a while wanting to just hang out with us. During one of these calls he informed us that he wanted to go proselyting with us; okay no problem. So we met up with him and started on our way to our first appointment which was a good distance away.
 He followed us there on his moto at like 5 miles an hour and as soon as we got there he said, "Okay I'm going home." So he left!  We met with our appointment, had a great time, and then left. Later we get a phone call from this investigator who followed us and then left - and he said that he wanted to meet up again. We had time and we were on the way to the church, so we told him to meet us there so we could talk about the gospel. We brought a member with us to meet with him and teach him a lesson and when he showed up he said he wanted to go to the nearby stadium and jog around the track!  I asked why because we thought he wanted to discuss the gospel. Super weird,  but we finally got him in the church. I was on exchanges this day with a malay elder so it was all up to me to do this lesson. 
As I tried to have a good lesson, this investigator was completely silent; wouldn't answer my questions, nothing!  So after a very awkward hour, we ended and left the lesson. He kept calling us several times a day for a few days,  when he called one day and said we should go exercise at the stadium together. I told him that we didn't have time to but we can set up a time to meet and such. He then said to me, "You know that your church isn't true right?" He then asked to talk to my companion. I handed Elder Earl the phone so the investigator could say the same thing to Elder Earl. Elder Earl being so skilled said, "Oh really? Did you ask God? Did you pray about it?" He responded, "No." "Well, I know my church is true." Before long the investigator just hung up the phone. We thought that would be the last of him, but he has kept calling us several times a day still!  


Some of the Elders from Sibu Jaya invited us up to there area to teach a Chinese lady they had been trying to work with. We went up there and met this sweet sister. This sister was very quiet but loved the gospel. We taught the Restoration and she took it all in. Near the end of our lesson, I gave her a Book of Mormon to read and she loved the book. As we were leaving she kept shaking my hand and saying, "Thank you for giving me this book. I'm so happy!!!!" It was so beautiful to see such a love for the Book of Mormon in this sister's eyes. We called her two days later to follow up with her and she said that she had already read to 2 Nephi. Awesome! Can't wait to hear what will be going on with her and her progress in the gospel.

So, the bike accidents; one wasn't my fault and the other was. We were on exchanges (only weird things happen on exchanges), I was with Elder Kehl and Elder Olivares. We were on the way to the church for a social activity, Elder Olivares was in front, then me, then Elder Kehl. Elder Olivares rode past the red light at an intersection and rode ahead while Elder Kehl and I had to wait at the light. We were parked next to a truck and the common thing to do was to grab on to the side of the truck to get more speed. We grabbed on, me in front, and picked up some speed. When I was satisfied with the speed I had ( and it wasn't even that fast anyways!)  I let go. But Elder Kehl wanted to keep going. The road was already pretty narrow and as Elder Kehl kept holding on, he kept going faster until his front tire was rubbing my back tire. I could feel them rubbing when I felt a jolt on my bike and then nothing. I turned around in time to see Elder Kehl fly over his bike and crash on the road luckily sliding onto the grass nearby. He had actually flown over his handle bars and landed on my back tire as I was riding. I have a mudguard there so his body was actually on the tire, but he broke the guard and fell onto the asphalt. I was totally fine and didn't even fall but he ended up with some scrapes and bruises but is alright- haha - dangerous stuff when missionaries bike ride! 



The next accident happened a few minutes later. We switched back to normal companionships, I was with Elder Earl, and Elder Olivares decided to come with us to an appointment. We were on the side of the road passing cars which where stopped because of a red light. There were some guys doing something sketchy on the side of the road, which caused me to look over at them just long enough for me to be too distracte! haha -  I was looking over at them when I looked forward again I saw a parked truck on the side of the road about 12 yards ahead of me! With how fast I was going, I knew I couldn't evade it, but I still tried my best to dodge it!  As I tried to turn out of the way, my handle bar smashed into the back corner of the truck and smashed the tail light. The owner of the car was the guy doing sketchy things on the side of the road and he walked over and seeing the damage I did - was not happy. I immediately said to him, "How much money do I owe you?" The guy kept looking at the car still not that happy looking when he looked at me and something went on in his head that he all of a sudden looked calm. He looked at me and said, "Don't worry about it." I was shocked. "Really?" I said. "Don't worry about it." he said again. He then walked back to doing the sketchy thing he was doing before. It was super weird but I'm just glad that I didn't get hurt or do any more damage than I really did. 



Well, I'm off so Sitiawan! I'm excited for a great new start in a new area and I hope that I may be the best Sitiawan missionary that I can be! 

Love you all!

Elder Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment